Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cutting edges can be sharp...

So, it has been a week or so since getting all this new technology going, so it is time for some updates.

X301 - I'm trying really hard to think of something critical to say about it, but I can't find it. It is simply the best ThinkPad ever, and that puts it on a pinnacle above every notebook in the universe. Seriously.

Windows 7 - I'm missing some of the ThinkVantage Technologies that are available for XP and Vista, but with the exception of the issue with tdx.sys discussed below, it is stable, fast and easy. Winner.

ReadyNAS Duo - you don't see a review of the Duo for a reason. If you're running Win7 and an antivirus program, you're likely to have an issue with bluescreens faulting a file called "tdx.sys" when you try to access a remote share or mapped netword drive...

like a ReadyNAS...
















While it works on the Mac, the setup wasn't happy, and I didn't have much time to work with it. I'll try again, but the Win7 bug is was pretty much 100% - every time I tried to access it, it was an invitation to the BSOD party.

I'll try to get it running in the next week or two, but time is a little limited.

DIR-655 - My ThinkPad likes it and my iPhone likes it, but my wife's iMac isn't as happy. She's complaining of very slow running, so I have a little more debugging to do. Everything else seems OK, so I'm wondering if the security and how it is implemented with OS-X. Will be interesting to see if it works out OK.

I'm a little bummed that the 655 and the ReadyNAS aren't running without hitches, but I'm still optimistic about them both.

No comments: